The Hunting Depot at Grunewald Hunting Lodge
Information regarding SARS-CoV-2
This Palace must remain closed until further notice. The hours and service information on this page is currently not up to date.
Click here to see which Palaces are open.
Frederick the Great closed the royal hunting lodge on Friedrichswerder located in Berlin’s present-day district of Mitte in 1765 and opened the hunting depot at Grunewald Hunting Lodge in 1770. The king, who had little interest in hunting, also had hunting gear and equipment from Liebenwalde, Oranienburg, and Spandau transported to the Grunewald site, where an extensive depot with wagons, canvas barriers, ropes, nets, and more was established. Wooden hooks on the ceiling still recall this use. Hunting weapons, however, were not stored here, but at the armories.
The hunting depot was in service until use of the imperial hunting grounds was discontinued in 1904. Subsequently, the building was variously used, among other things as a horse stable and wagon shed, and by a mounted police unit in the 1920s. In early 1977, the hunting collection was reopened to the public.
Today visitors can supplement their visit to the exhibition in the palace with knowledge about the history of the courtly hunt in Brandenburg-Prussia and its most common forms. Archaeological discoveries from the former moats around the Hunting Lodge also illustrate aspects of the site’s construction history.
The Hunting Depot at Grunewald Hunting Lodge [Jagdzeugmagazin am Jagdschloss Grunewald]
Hüttenweg 100 (am Grunewaldsee)
How to get there
Stop "Königin-Luise-Str./Clayallee (Berlin)" + ca. 1200m Fußweg
Very limited parking (Hüttenweg / Parking Forsthaus Paulsborn).
Winter Season | November/December
|Monday - Sunday:||closed|
Last admission: 30 minutes before closing.
On public holidays, weekend opening hours apply unless otherwise stated.
Tickets are available exclusively at the counter in the building
Price : 3.00 reduced : 2.00
Annual Pass for the Palaces
Valid for all SPSG palaces open to the public incl. special exhibitions, for one year after date of issue (except Sacrow Palace, Stern Hunting Lodge; in the Belvedere on Potsdam’s Pfingstberg, ticket owners are granted the reduced rate). Including discounts in museum shops and selected restaurants. Non-transferable. On sale at all palace registers and visitor centers.
Price : 60.00 reduced : 40.00
Visitor's Center at the Historic Windmill in Sanssouci Park
An der Orangerie 1
Visitor's Center at the New Palace in Sanssouci Park
Am Neuen Palais 3
Phone: +49 (0) 331.96 94-200
SPSG | Gruppenservice
contact form for booking requests
Phone: 0331.96 94-222
Fax: 0331.96 94-107
- wheelchair access with assistance
The Hunting Deport and Armory (Jagdzeugmagazin) and the Schlosshof are accessible for wheelchair users with assistance. A ramp can be set in place at the Hunting Depot and Armory if necessary.
Unfortunately, for conservation reasons the use of baby carriages and strollers is not permitted in exhibition spaces.
Please note: No luggage or baggage may be left in the entrance area of the palace for security and safety reasons.
Unfortunately, there are no facilities for storing larger pieces of luggage or similar baggage on the premises of this historical site. We appreciate your understanding.
A limited number of lockers are available for smaller pieces of baggage (up to 35 x 35 x 50 cm) in Glienicke Palace.