New Pavilion in Charlottenburg’s Palace Gardens
Jewel of Schinkel’s Era
In 1824–25, King Frederick William III had the New Pavilion built in Charlottenburg’s palace gardens according to designs by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Neoclassical Italian villas were the model for the summer house located to the east of the New Wing, in close proximity to the Spree River. The monarch used the cube-shaped, two-story building as his private retreat.
In three rooms on the ground floor, the New Pavilion conveys an impression of the interior design of this royal summer house until 1840. In addition, the permanent exhibition is dedicated to Schinkel’s multifaceted talents – as architect, painter and designer of arts and crafts objects – and to the art of his contemporaries in Berlin. Also presented are sculpture by Christian Daniel Rauch and an exceptional collection of early 19th century paintings, including masterworks by Caspar David Friedrich, Karl Blechen and Eduard Gaertner.
Following major renovations, the New Pavilion, nearly destroyed in World War II and rebuilt in 1960, was reopened in 2011 with a new permanent exhibition.
A compact guide to the palace gardens and their buildings may be ordered here.
Investition in Ihre Zukunft!