A View of the Havel River
Built in a delightful spot on the banks of Jungfernsee, Prince Carl had the Casino built in 1824 to the designs of Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Inspired by Italian models, Schinkel’s structure with its prominent pergolas is undoubtedly one of the most impressive works of architecture in Potsdam’s cultural landscape.
The building affords atmospheric views of the Belvedere on Pfingstberg across the lake and, further afield, of Potsdam and Glienicke Palace’s English landscape garden designed by Peter Joseph Lenné.
Prince Carl of Prussia, who commissioned this artistic synthesis of architecture and landscape design, was a passionate collector of antiquities that he exhibited throughout the estate. He had the façades of the palace and the Casino embellished with classical fragments, which he also displayed in the garden. Particularly valuable ancient sculptures were stored on the ground floor of the Casino. Some of them can still be admired in rooms decorated in a Neoclassical style with luxurious wall coverings and Venetian marble floors.