Charlottenburg Palace – Theater Building
In 1788, a theater building, commissioned by the art-loving Frederick William II, was erected on the western end of the impressive ensemble complex of Charlottenburg Palace. The three-story, early Neoclassical building was constructed according to plans by Carl Gotthard Langhans, who had also designed the Brandenburg Gate and the Belvedere in Charlottenburg’s palace gardens.
Connected to the Old Palace through the elongated Large Orangery, the theater space with its curving auditorium and the king’s loge was the scene of opulent court festivities. With the interior decoration having been removed in 1902 to make space for furniture storage, only the building exterior was reconstructed after severe damage in World War II. Until 1999, the rooms served as the home of the Museum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte (Museum of Prehistoric and Early History) of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin.
Today, the former theater is a modern, barrier-free structure used for special exhibitions. It encompasses five large rooms on the ground and upper levels, with nearly 1200 m² of exhibition space and the impeccable infrastructure guaranteeing ideal conditions for exhibitions.
A compact guide to the palace gardens and their buildings may be ordered here.